NFL considering policy change to quell anthem controversy
by Evan Wilt
Posted 10/10/17, 03:55 pm
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell outlined a plan for the league to move past its national anthem controversy in a letter he sent to all 32 teams Tuesday. “Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem,” he wrote. “It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us.” Goodell, who said he developed a new policy to address the issue but did not offer details, stressed that NFL executives need to work with players. NFL team owners will discuss the proposal and decide how to move forward during regularly scheduled fall meetings on Oct. 17-18. President Donald Trump reignited the debate last month when he called out NFL players for choosing to kneel during the playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Trump’s comments prompted protests from players across the country. Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began the anthem protests in August 2016 to draw attention to racial inequality in the United States. On Sunday, Vice President Mike Pence walked out of an NFL game in Indianapolis after several players kneeled during the anthem. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters Tuesday the Trump administration welcomes discussions of NFL policy changes.
Read more from The Sift
Evan is a reporter for WORLD Digital based in Washington, D.C.