Police in Myanmar, also known as Burma, said they discovered at least 48 murdered Hindus buried in three mass graves in Rakhine state—the center of ongoing conflict between government security forces and Rohingya Muslims. Maj. Zayar Nyein said authorities on Sunday discovered two graves containing 20 women and eight boys. They discovered the third grave containing 17 more Hindu villagers on Monday. Rohingya Muslim militants on Aug. 25 attacked government security posts in Rakhine state after accusing soldiers of killing and assaulting the beleaguered minority. More than 400 people died in the clashes. Police said some 100 Hindus have been missing since then and blamed the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army militant group for the killings. After the clashes, security forces staged counterattacks that have sent at least 420,000 Rohingya fleeing into Bangladesh. Myanmar government officials denied claims that its security forces have engaged in ethnic cleansing against the Rohingya. —O.O.
Kenya’s electoral commission has shifted the presidential election redo to Oct. 26 after the country’s Supreme Court detailed regulations for the new election process. The election was originally scheduled for Oct. 17. Kenya’s electoral commission said the court’s ruling will affect how it conducts the vote, including the technology used. The Supreme Court nullified President Uhuru Kenyatta’s reelection in August and ordered a new election within 60 days. In a detailed explanation as to why it annulled the election, the court said the electoral commission failed to verify the results and give the court access to its computer servers to dispute opposition leader Raila Odinga’s claims that hackers infiltrated the system and altered the results. Kenyatta called the process “a judicial coup,” while Odinga called for reforms within the electoral commission ahead of the new elections. The commission appointed six new officials to lead the process. Last week, the commission’s legal and corporate affairs director, Praxedes Tororey, offered to withdraw from the commission ahead of the new election. —O.O.
The United Nations has reached an agreement with the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) in northeastern Nigeria to end the use of child soldiers to combat Boko Haram. Under the deal, which also involves the northeastern Borno state government and Nigerian state authorities, the children will receive psycho-social support and participate in reintegration programs. The civilian force recruited more than 360 children between October 2015 and August 2017, according to the UN. “Anyone under the age of 18 would no longer be a part of the CJTF,” Jibrin Gunda, the force’s legal adviser, told London’s The Guardian. “We are doing our best to make sure we are on the right side of human rights codes.” —O.O.