Disasters
Associated Press/Australia Broadcasting Corporation

Papua New Guinea death toll at 67 as aftershocks persist

by Onize Ohikere
Posted 3/05/18, 10:05 am

The death toll from last week’s earthquake in Papua New Guinea’s remote highlands has risen to at least 67 people, the Red Cross said, even as the region continues to face strong aftershocks. The country’s already damaged Southern Highlands on Monday endured three aftershocks stronger than a magnitude 5. The government declared a state of emergency last week after a 7.5 magnitude quake left many regions inaccessible.

Read more

Associated Press/Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Crews struggle to reach quake-hit areas in Papua New Guinea

by Onize Ohikere
Posted 3/02/18, 10:47 am

Papua New Guinea has declared a state of emergency after a 7.5 magnitude earthquake on Monday killed at least 31 people and left many regions still unaccessible. The state of emergency will cover the worst-hit provinces of the Southern Highlands, Western Highlands, Hela, and Enga. Prime Minister Peter O’Neill in a statement promised to release about $135 million in government aid and military support in response to the unprecedented disaster.

Read more

Associated Press/Photo by Jerol Wepii

Dozens dead in Papua New Guinea after earthquake

by Onize Ohikere
Posted 2/27/18, 09:57 am

More than 30 people are suspected dead after a 7.5 magnitude earthquake rocked southern Papua New Guinea on Monday. The quake and powerful aftershocks struck provinces in Southern Highlands and Hela, disrupting communication and power networks. Julie Sakol, a nurse at Mendi General Hospital in the provincial capital of the Southern Highlands, told Reuters a landslide and two collapsed buildings killed at least 12 people. The country’s Post Courier newspaper reported at least 18 other people died in the Kutubu and Bosave areas.

Read more