by Onize Ohikere
Posted 10/11/18, 11:16 am
Indonesia’s disaster agency on Thursday postponed the end of search and rescue efforts in some of the worst-hit areas of Sulawesi island, where an earthquake and tsunami last month killed 2,073 people. Officials previously said search efforts would cease Thursday in the neighborhoods of Balaroa, Petobo, and Jono Oge in Palu, but families of some of the missing people pleaded for an additional day, disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said. In a last-ditch attempt to find victims, firefighters and other responders burned debris and used excavators to dig through the rubble.