Features

Justice Department: No evidence of antifa instigating Capitol riot

Social media rumors swirled following last week’s melee

Justice Department: No evidence of antifa instigating Capitol riot

Supporters of President Donald Trump—including Jake Angeli, wearing a fur hat with horns—are confronted by U.S. Capitol Police officers inside the Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

Internet rumors continued to swirl among supporters of President Donald Trump who were in disbelief about what happened in Washington, D.C., last week. On Jan. 6, mobs marched from a rally featuring Trump to the Capitol, where many pushed past Capitol Police and took over the seat of government for several hours. Five died in the mayhem, including a Capitol Police officer whom rioters hit in the head with a fire extinguisher.

One theory that is circulating: Activists on the left, chiefly antifa (an abbreviation referring to “anti-fascist” left-wing groups), instigated the violence instead of Trump supporters. People including Trump-supporting attorney Lin Wood and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton spread the idea on social media.

But a prosecutor with the Department of Justice, Ken Kohl, said in a call with reporters Friday that the agency had “no indication” that antifa had any role in the violence. An assistant FBI director said the same. Federal authorities have instead identified and charged several Republicans and longtime Trump rallygoers who in most cases broadcast their actions themselves.

Here are some of the people involved in the riots who some have claimed were left-wing activists:

Several photos of the riots featured Jacob Anthony Chansley, who also goes by the name Jake Angeli. He was shirtless, wearing face paint and a fur headpiece with horns. Chansley is a Trump supporter and famous figure in QAnon circles. He has appeared at many QAnon events and “Stop the Steal” rallies. Many social media accounts wrongly labeled him as a Black Lives Matter supporter. Federal agents arrested him Saturday on several charges.

Another photo made the social media rounds with a caption like, “Do these look like Trump supporters? Or leftist agitators disguised as Trump supporters?” Two of the men in the photo so far have not been identified and charged. Wood and others tweeted a photo of one man they claimed was a member of Philly antifa. It was in fact an old photo, from a Philly antifa website, of white nationalist Jason Tankersley.

Photos and videos of the Capitol invasion show John Sullivan, who said he was there to videotape the attack and prove that antifa was not behind it. Sullivan founded a group called Insurgence USA this summer after the killing of George Floyd, and he captured on video the police shooting of Ashli Babbett inside the Capitol.

“How would you have a clear vision of this woman getting shot by this officer? ... This is what everyone needed to see,” he told Fox News.

Trump has attracted supporters from outside the traditional Republican tent, so it’s possible that a Trump supporter could also back some left-leaning causes. Adherents to QAnon, an apocalyptic internet movement that includes both the left and right, believe Trump is a messianic figure who will oust the “deep state.” QAnon supporters love Trump, but they may also back a variety of other causes.

Here are some other Republicans who allegedly broke into the Capitol:

A Republican state legislator from West Virginia, Derrick Evans, livestreamed himself breaking into the Capitol. Evans has been arrested and charged. On Saturday he resigned from the Legislature.

Richard Barnett, who took photos in Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office with his feet propped up on her desk, is a regular attendee of Republican rallies. Barnett has been arrested and charged.

Lonnie Coffman, according to the Department of Justice, had 11 Molotov cocktails filled with “homemade napalm … ready to go” in his truck near the Capitol, as well as several firearms. Coffman’s family said he is a Trump supporter. Coffman has been arrested and charged.

Josiah Colt, who climbed down the Senate gallery wall to sit in the Senate president’s chair, livestreamed the events on Jan. 6. He has gone to Trump rallies in the past where he said “if violence happens it’s going to happen.” In another post he said, “Now is the time to fight.” Colt has apologized but so far has not been arrested.

Another iconic photo was of a man sitting in the Capitol wearing animal pelts with a looted police vest and shield. Aaron Mostofsky, son of a Brooklyn judge, went to the Trump rally because he believed the election was stolen, according to an interview with the New York Post.

The FBI is still seeking suspects.

Editor’s Note: WORLD has updated this story since its original posting to correct information about two men we originally named. News outlets this story links to wrongly or inconclusively identified two men in the photos as white nationalists Jason Tankersley and Matthew Heimbach. Heimbach says he was not in Washington the day of the riots. Authorities have not formally identified or charged the two men pictured.

Emily Belz

Emily Belz

Emily is a senior reporter for WORLD Magazine. She is a World Journalism Institute graduate and previously reported for the The New York Daily News, The Indianapolis Star, and Philanthropy magazine. Emily resides in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @emlybelz.

Comments

• HANNAH.
    Posted: Mon, 01/11/2021 09:38 pm

John Sullivan: On Jan. 2, Sullivan wrote in a tweet: “[Expletive] The System – Time To Burn It All Down.  #blm #antifa #burn #[expletive]thesystem #abolishcapitalism #abolishthepolice #acab #[expletive]trump.”

… In his graphic video from the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol, Sullivan can be heard saying “let’s burn this [expletive] down,” before entering the building. … the video shows he was actively helping convince Capitol police officers to let the trespassers through as well as encouraging the trespassers to continue pushing forward. Left-Wing Activist Encouraged Intruders Inside Capitol, Urged Police to Leave Post (theepochtimes.com)

Also, Video: Antifa Tactics Seen at Jan. 6 Capitol Protest—Interview With Michael Yon (theepochtimes.com) Michael Yon is a war correspondent who has attended hundreds of protests, and who has deep insights into Antifa and their tactics.

Cyborg3
    Posted: Mon, 01/11/2021 10:28 pm

Thanks Hannah for setting the record straight! I have no doubt that AntiFa, BLM and others were inciting the violence too! Notice how quickly the left came out to censor and impeach President Trump. And watching the justice department fumble over and over for the last few years, I have no doubt that they would shield the AntiFa and BLM agitators! It is a sad time we live in with so much corruption.

• HANNAH.
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 01:44 am

This goes beyond Antifa to "legacy" media (or "Main Stream Media") and members of Congress:  The FINAL TWEETS of SIDNEY POWELL | Account TERMINATED | Twitter Purge 1/8/2021 | Synthwave Music Added | Bradley Loren (gab.com) A sampling:

WheeledPatriot2: “Anyone wanna explain how NPR was on this story 5 hours before it went down? 5 hours before anything happened?” photo of NPR article posted January 6, 2021 9:33 AM ET: “Trump Supporters Storm U.S. Capitol, Clash With Police”

Sean Davis: “Your silly resolution there is dated January 5, which was yesterday. How’d you manage to draft legislation in response to an event that hadn’t even happened yet?” photo of tweet from Congresswoman Cori Bush: “I believe the Republican members of Congress who have incited this domestic terror attack through their attempts to overturn the election must face consequences. They have broken their sacred Oath of Office. I will be introducing a resolution calling for their expulsion.” photo of beginning of a "discussion draft" of a House resolution

Deb O
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 08:38 am

Hannah and Cyborg3:  I have no more words for the conspiracy-theory news outlets you prefer to World. No words. Only this action...smh. I'm praying for you and all other Trump supporters. Just like I pray for Biden's supporters and our new leadership. And all of us others who seek true peace and reconciliation in Christ.

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 09:27 am

Cyborg3, I have no doubt that there are those on the other side who would shield and cover for Antifa and BLM terrorists. How on earth does that make it okay for us to shield and cover for terrorists with MAGA hats?

The moral equivalency here is troubling -- that because "they" call good evil and evil good, we must also call good evil and evil good.

Do you really believe there were few Trump supporters in the capitol? Do you really believe that it was primarily Antifa storming the capital looking for Pence?

Cyborg3
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 10:16 pm

Here is some more evidence to support the notion that Leftists and radicals were involved in pushing the violence.

Deb O,

I appreciate the prayers and I would hope that you are open minded enough to look at the evidence. Following some young naive reporters from World doesn't guarantee that you will get accurate news given their lack experience in the real world.  I have followed the news all my life since I was a boy starting with the hostage situation in Iraq. Most my life I have read both sides especially early on when even the left media still had useful information to read. Unfortunately, the last ten years has been very bad for the liberal media where it is nothing but propaganda, getting worse yearly.  I work full time so I don't have as much time as others, but still I push a few points here and there.

Tim:

You are a lost cause where you regularly spout the liberal talking points. Whose agenda are you pushing and why?  You keep pushing every point in the wrong direction.  I do think the Republican views are much closer to God's  views so that is why I am a conservative and Republican. Everything the left touches it destroys - a young baby, they choose abortion; marriage, they push homosexuality; sex they push transgenderism; markets they choose socialism and communism; secure elections, they push for insecure elections allowing themselves to steal elections; safe cities, they seek to get rid of the police and destroy the cities; border security, they seek open borders; national security, they hate the military and always let it go to pot; justice, they seek to push racism and sew racial strife; patriotism, they seek internationalism and globalism; faith, they seek secularism or universalism; religious freedom, they seek to take religious freedom away; and industry, they seek regulations and high taxes.  So yes, I think Democrats and the left are harmful for America.  At one time, the church was unified in our approach, but unfortunately liberalism has crept into the church - both theologically and politically. Today, we cannot even agree what is truth because many follow the leftist disinformation without critical thought.

Most all the MAGA protesters were peaceful and nonviolent. Can we agree on that? Only a few violated the law.  So I don't wring my hands with fear and trepidation for what a few agitators did - some of them MAGA and some leftist. I do recognize that the left are trying to exaggerate what happened and make it into an excuse to go after conservatives (including Christians) in general to politically subjugate us and force us to live under their views of morality. When they write the law they will not be kind to us and if they have their way they will exterminate us. We already see them shutting Trump off Twitter, his fundraising site is being forced down, freedom of speech is being trampled on where 70,000 supposedly QAnon accounts were shut down. Those who believe the election was stolen are being pulled off the Internet. Specifically, the information which supports that the election was stolen is being pulled down and censored. Silicon Valley have used all their power to push up Biden and tear down Trump during the election. With the Democrats in power things will only get worse, which we will see soon after Biden is in office. I predict that we are seeing a major shift in America where we will unlikely see a return to the goodness we see today with Trump!

• not silent
    Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 06:59 am

For Cyborg: if you truly feel that being a conservative and a republican is closer to God's views and you value protecting the unborn (i.e., if these are the things that are most important to you), I urge you to reconsider casting people who are fellow believers and are pro life Republicans as your enemies based on disagreements about Mr. Trump and/or his administration and/or the events last Wednesday. It doesn't look to me like you disagree with them all that much even about the riots (i.e., most people on here seem to agree that the violence was unacceptable and, with additional evidence that has come out, most seem to agree that SOME of the rioters could have from groups other thanTrump supporters). Your main disagreement seems to me to hinge on a person's views and/or feelings about Mr. Trump and/or the people who broke into the Capitol building who WERE Trump supporters.  So I'm asking you this: Which is more important-that someone be pro life and a republican or that they feel the same way you do about Mr. Trump and the riots?  Is it worth alienating people who are pro life Republicans solely based on their feelings about Mr. Trump and/or his words and actions and/or the events last Wednesday?

Throughout my life, people have tried to silence any questions I had and force me into full loyalty and agreement by creating a false equivalency.  I.e, if I questioned ANYTHING they said, the reponse was some form of saying, "If you don't agree with such-and-such, that means you fully support all beliefs of the other side."  But it simply wasn't true.  I could disagree on one or more points but STILL not belong to "the other side."

We can feel differently about Mr. Trump and about what happened Wednesday, but that does not automatically mean I support ALL those things you listed as being "supported by the democrats." I said in a previous comment that I have been a republican all my life and I'm pro life. My childhood and young adulthood happened during the Cold War, so I assure you I'm not communist!  Most important, at least to me, is that I am your fellow believer.  I do not consider you my enemy even though I disagree with you about SOME political issues and I do not feel the same way you do about Mr. Trump.

It's not a sign of weakness to be a peacemaker and/or to try to reconcile people who disagree; but, even if it WERE, Jesus said, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."  Matthew 5:5  And, "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy." Matthew 5:7.  AND, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Matthew 5:9

I don't think Jesus was saying it is NEVER appropriate to fight against evil. But I urge you to consider WHO you are fighting and why you are fighting them and to ask yourself if World commenters who disagree with you about Mr. Trump, his words and actions, and/or the riots but who are fellow believers and are pro life are your REAL enemies?

Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 08:56 am

Cyborg3, I'm sorry you think I'm a lost cause. I really do not think our disagreements on policies or issues are as great as you think they are. I think the Republican Party is losing its way with its Trump-centric approach, yes, but I have not abandoned conservatism. I still voted Republican in the last election with one exception -- a state representative candidate who I know personally and who I believe will be an ally to honest and decent government in our state.

But, here's the kicker. It doesn't matter how bad the Democrats are, when we're talking about who invaded the capitol. That's a question of fact, not a question of opinion. Our concern should be what the truth is, not who the truth helps or hurts. World's accurate reporting is being assailed because it doesn't fit a certain narrative, not because of its lack of sourcing or accuracy.

I see this moment in American history as Solomonic ... the country, the Constitution, the promise of liberty and justice for all is under assault, frankly, by extremists on the left and right. Both are claiming ownership of "the baby" of America.

Some -- Democrats and Republicans -- are willing to destroy our constitutional order in order to claim temporary power. (A friend of mine actually mused that a Trump dictatorship might be preferable to an elected Biden administration.) Others are willing to cede their own political advantage to see the country and the grand experiment of constitutional self government succeed.

In the end, succeed or fail, I want to stand with those who were willing to give up their personal power and ambition to see the perpetuation of "one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

---

And...PS...I do not in any way think that all MAGA supporters, or even the majority, support what happened in the capitol. I think many MAGA supporters truly love this country, and are supporting Trump because they truly believe he is the best choice to lead the country. I did not feel I could vote for him, but respect those who did.

• HANNAH.
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 01:28 pm

Regarding the link "Ken Kohl, said in a call with reporters": Thank you for the clarification, Mickey McLean.

• WORLD’s Mickey McLean
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 09:56 am

A quote from Ken Kohl is in the last paragraph of the linked article.

• Steve Shive
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 06:09 am

We have the madness of crowds and have been witnessing this across the USA for many months. There are always those present with good intentions and thoughts of protest of some grievous wrong that has been perpetrated. Then are those who wish to incite  disorder and worse. This latter group were there at the Capital as well as in Portland and in Seattle and on and on.

The vast majority of those in DC were there for good reason. I abhor the sudden agreement of Republican and Democratic politicians who can finally come together when they have been threatened or feel they were at risk. To repeatedly call those at the protest "Domestic Terrorists and not patriots" is despicable. Note Lindsey Graham. Yes there were domestic terrorists, some were Antifa, some learned at the same "school" as Antifa, and were there to incite a mob. And these latter group are terrorists.

Let's not put the vast majority of patriots who are protesting a grievous wrong perpetrated on our nation with those who want to wreak chaos, mayhem and destruction!

How can World ignore the facts. I am dismayed at your narrow focus with your news of late. Take off the blinders!

Here is an accurate observation:

Washington media and politicians are wringing their hands about the occupation of the national capitol building by the nation’s people yesterday—with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer ridiculously comparing this mostly peaceful protest by the right with the attack on Pearl Harbor. They seem willfully oblivious to the fact they denied anything at all troubling or unacceptable was happening out in the American provinces, where whole sections of cities were allowed to burn and federal and state buildings were under siege by leftist protestors for weeks on end. When President Trump called in the National Guard to protect federal property, the move was denounced as fascist. As American cities went up in flames, leaders in the Democratic Party denied that it was happening, when they were not actively encouraging it.

[Intellectual Take Out: https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/the--mostly-peaceful--double-standard/]

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 09:24 am

Re: "How can World ignore the facts?"

Why did you not respond to the factual statements made in this article, where World goes down the list of alleged "Antifa" sightings? Instead, you go to "the vast majority were there for good reason," and "some were Antifa," without providing basis for your second statement.

I know people that were there. They weren't there to kidnap Mike Pence or break windows in the capitol or steal laptops from congressional offices. I don't think World has ever equated all of the protesters with the domestic terrorists at the event.

But ... how many times have you heard us Republicans criticize Democrats because they weren't willing to label "Islamic terrrorism" for what it was? We didn't want it labeled properly because we were bigots (I hope) but because we wanted to identify and defeat the enemy.

When far-right anarchists plot and take over the capitol of our country, claiming that the Vice President is a traitor and changing "Hang Mike Pence," I think it's important to be clear about who it is.

World is frustrating a lot of people right now because they won't say what you want to hear. And, frankly, World is about the only news outlet I know that has a compelling interest in telling the truth. The others have a profit motive (or, in Epoch Times' case, an anti-China motive, which I don't disagree with). World is actually willing to tell the truth when it costs them readers, subscribers, and donors.

If you're looking for a false prophet to tell you what you want to hear, and you'll pay him (by clicking on advertising or subscribing) for the privilege, false prophets will line up at your door. But there aren't many people who will be willing to tell you the truth even if it costs them your support and friendship.

The sad result of entertaining the false prophets of today's advocacy media is that eventually we will be unable to tell truth from fiction ... and that is a dangerous place to be.

• M&
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 12:55 pm

Steve Shive said it well.

And how you Emily associate a handful of the thousands of Americans that were at the Capital peacefully protesting, with many even attempting to call out and stop the miscreants, is disturbing. Think. If the thousands of protesters at the event were there to cause violence and destruction, as the BLM and Antifa, and other extremists always do, is there any doubt that the buildings would have been demolished, the police attacked, and even some congressman. I was there in spirit for what the thousands represented. So was I also there for the crimes, violence, and damage? I say no. What the thousands of others did was 1000% appropriate based on the evidence I have seen that President Trump has been the subject of fraud, slander, and injustice.

• HANNAH.
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 04:07 pm

Steve Shive, unfortunately the Intellectual Takeout link produces an error message. Hopefully, this link will remain long enough for people to view. Scroll down to the video of the Cross Roads interview of Masako Gahana, an independent journalist from Okinawa.

HUGE! Analysis of Video of Trump Supporter Ashli Babbitt Death in the Capitol Shows Antifa's Actions Led to Shots Being Fired (VIDEO) (thegatewaypundit.com)

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 08:25 am

It is clear to me that neither the left nor the right wishes to confess its own sins. Both say, "We're not capable of that."

What's as troubling is that conservatives like Gorka and Limbaugh are beginning to explain away and excuse the violence, much of which was based on a lie they perpetuated.

Deb O
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 10:16 am

Thank you, Tim; your perspective is refreshing. Please keep commenting, even though I don't believe our brothers and sisters are willing to listen. I just have to pray. And give more to World to help keep their focus on giving us the truth. It's the only news outlet I trust.

Cyborg3
    Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 12:56 am

What sins exactly do you want me to confess? I didn't do anything wrong! We have provided plenty of evidence showing the election was stolen and you just ignore it and post the leftist responses. At the very least you should acknowledge the unConstitutional nature about the elections where election officials were making up the law as they went and did not follow their state law. This was illegal and violates the Constitution. The illegal votes should have been thrown out which would have caused Trump to be elected.

BOBGUTJAHR
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 10:16 am

I feel ambivalent about this article.  It is good to know who some of these people are, but does it bother anyone else that federal authorities have been collecting information on Trump rally goers?

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 10:26 am

I don't think the article said the feds "have been" collecting information on Trump rally goers. Many of them are well-known as Trump rally goers, based on their social media feeds.

• Georganne
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 11:46 am

One question I have is "Why don't we know more about the five people who died?"  We know a little bit about the woman who was shot by a police officer; and we know a little about another police officer who died after being hit over the head with a fire extinguisher. What about the other three?  How did they die?

I read some place that the other three died from "medical emergencies".  What does that mean?  I have never seen their names or the real cause of death.

As for the first two, nothing has been reported about what  has happened to their assailants.  Is the police officer who shot the woman climbing through the window going to face any consequences?  Have the men who bludgeoned the other police officer to death been identified, arrested, or charged?

Where are the reporters, or is this information somehow unavailable?

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 12:08 pm

This article won't answer all your questions, but it is a place to start.

• RJ
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 12:09 pm

I have been a World subscriber for years.  It has been, for the most, part an unbiased magazine.  As of late I have found little words and lines added into articles that do, in fact, show bias.  Two or three words like "without proof" when there are pages and pages of proof shows bias.

No, I am not happy with the outcome of the election.  Yes, I believe there was fraud and I believe there is ample evidence to prove it.  No, I do not condone violence in any form.  No, I do not support far left or far right agendas.  But I also do not support cowardice and disloyalty.

I am really struggling to know whether or not World will stay on my subscription list.  It isn't about who is right or who is wrong, but about the little words strewn throughout articles in the past year that show a left lean especially of the younger reporters.  It is hard not to lean one way or the other in this time.  I do not profess to be neutral.  But I want to read journalism that does not lean right or left.

I'll be praying for truth to be revealed.

• Janet B
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 12:09 pm

Hannah,

RE: the post on NPR with the time of 9:33,  via America Stands.

That was the time of the original post. The headline about the Capitol was an update.  They didn't change the time for each update they did through the day.  They should.

They did not know ahead of time.

• Janet B
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 12:28 pm

I am appreciating your naming of names, WORLD.

Can you find out how many people were at the rally and outside the Capitol when the breach took place?  And how many went inside to wreak havoc?

Because I keep hearing "takeover" and "domestic terrorists" from the mainstream media.  But it doesn't seem to me that it was a coordinated an effort.

It does scare me that someone had Molotov cocktails in their car.  But so far, it still sounds like some bad'uns who supported Trump and/or maybe some from the left who decided to attack/breach.  I can't see how the President is responsible for what extremists do, any more than AOC and others who defended the rioters since this summer are responsible for the continuing riots in Portland and other cities. Well, maybe that is not a good example.

The MSM has a leftist agenda for the most part.  I am looking to you to give us the real facts.  I always have.  But I didn't see a lot of factual coverage on the violent riots of the last six or seven months, and I have been disappointed about that. Please continue to give us facts that either support the MSM's claims that this was a right-wing takeover or refute it, but please give us facts.  I've had enough of the opinions.

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 12:44 pm

Janet, from what I've read, it does appear that some people had an agenda, but many of them just were caught up in the moment. I agree, that seems as if a lot of the mayhem wasn't preplanned, but provided cover for more serious actors. I am also concerned about the possibility of foreign agents taking advantage of the mayhem to gain information or do something more sinister.

• Gpa Russ
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 01:11 pm

I have heard many Christians excuse Trump's behavior by saying God can use sinners to do his will. It is true God can use repentant sinners. However, I think God has used Trump's prideful behavior and the violent behavior of the mob in Washington to make clear how far this country has fallen away from God and the Truth of His Word. Unfortunately, millions of Americans are in such spiritual darkness they do not even realize they have fallen. Now, if we let Him, God will use Bible-believing, Bible-living Christians to turn on the Light.

• Steve SoCal
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 02:03 pm

Amen

• DGKloost
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 01:22 pm

We have also been longtime subscribers and agree with RJ and appreciate The Epoch Times and The Daily Wire.  We deplore the violence.  Praying fervently, but for Emily Belz to chose this as her subtitle seems to lean to the left.  It is early to conclude that there was no antifa presence.  On January 8, “Today’s charges are just the beginning of the FBI’s ongoing efforts to hold those responsible for the criminal acts of violence and destruction that unfolded during the U.S. Capitol building breach on January 6th,” said FBI Director Christopher Wray. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/thirteen-charged-federal-court-following-...

I was going to post the same links as Hannah, and I agree with her first comments.  Also Logan Grimes, 25 was featured in this article. https://www.theepochtimes.com/man-arrested-outside-capitol-black-lives-m...

• HANNAH.
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 01:58 pm

DGKloost, thank you for the links. In the first, I note that no mention is made of "affiliation" on the part of those charged. The second link goes to a "Premium" article, so a person must login to access the article.

Man Arrested Outside Capitol Black Lives Matter Supporter, Not Trump Supporter: Family “He is not a Trumpster,” Andrew Hanselman told MLive.com of his stepson Logan Grimes, 25. “Not a MAGA (Make America Great Again) person.”

“We’re a very progressive liberal family …” father Robert Grimes added to the Detroit Free Press. Grimes has also been active in the Black Lives Matter movement, his family said. According to arrest records, Grimes was booked on charges including carrying a pistol without a license, possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device, and possession of unregistered ammunition.

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 02:12 pm

Hannah, I did find the article about the Michigan man interesting, and verified it by checking local sources as well (MLive and Detroit Free Press). But it doesn't negate World's point ... they never claimed there weren't a variety of people present, but that there doesn't appear to be evidence of Antifa instigating the riot.

Most of the people I know are convinced the election was stolen. They think we likely will never have a fair election again. So I'm not at all surprised that people believe that, or that they act on it.

You read the Epoch Times ... have you read the comments there? I've been told there that I need an "injection of lead," that I need "to be hung from a tree," etc., etc. Are you really surprised that there are people that feel this way?

And ... I am not in any way saying that you feel this way, or that the good commenters here do. I don't think the majority of Epoch Times' readers do. But there are crazies on the right advocating for civil war, and we need to call them out. They don't represent me, and I don't think they represent you, either.

• Steve SoCal
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 02:12 pm

It is disheartening to read comments here and there on "World Magazine" where readers are linking to the "Epoch Times" in order to disprove what they perceive as errors in "World" reporting.  "World" is founded and run by good Bible-believing, Christ honoring, Christian professional journalists.  Please do a little research and see who and what is behind the founding of the "Epoch Times".  Christians really need to be more discerning these days, and don't just follow whatever tickles our ear and matches our own opinions and emotions.

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 02:24 pm

Steve, good point. Truth is truth, wherever we find it, but we should definitely be sensitive to the source. For example ...

Epoch Times is owned by Falun Gong practitioners. They have a strong, understandable bias against Chinese Communism, since they escaped Chinese Communist persecution.

Washington Times is owned by the Unification Movement ("Rev." Moon).

That doesn't mean nothing in them is true, but I am surprised at the level of suspicion toward World, given the compromised nature of other conservative media.

• MTJanet
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 02:17 pm

The left and right both have their problematic elements, as well as their leadership; however, the democrats OWN the fact that they are worse at calling out violence.  I follow Andy Ngo, who covers antifa in the NW, because I have adult children living in Portland.  And what is STILL going on - antifa has been oh so busy since New Year's Eve and even since the Capitol rioting.  They tried to burn down a police station in Tigard last Fri. night, and when not allowed to - they turned to the usual destruction of local businesses.  So our children aren't as important as their own personal selves.  The message has been strong and very clear - until they get threatened, violence is either good or unimportant.

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 02:27 pm

We gave up that high ground when we let our presidential nominee urge rally attendees to beat up hecklers and offered to pay their legal bills. (I doubt he ever did -- if he doesn't pay his own bills, I'm pretty sure he's not going to pay them for random people.)

You're right about the hypocrisy on the left, but it doesn't excuse us from responsibility for what happens on our side.

• Georganne
    Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 04:29 am

I have been concerned about the lack of reporting by the press on people who have died from the violence. The following are the names of the people who are reported to have died at the assault on the Capitol on January 6.  The quotes are from a link provided by Tim Miller from ABC Action News WPVI TV Philadelphia, PA  Friday, January 8, 2021 4:43AM    Thank you, Tim!!!

Officer Brian Sicknick---“The U.S. Capitol Police said in a statement that Officer Brian D. Sicknick was injured "while physically engaging with protesters" during the Wednesday riot. He is the fifth person to die because of the melee.”...“Sicknick had returned to his division office after the incident and collapsed, the statement said. He was taken to a local hospital where he died on Thursday.”

My comments:  It was not nameless protesters who killed Officer Sicknick. It was specific individual protesters. Who were they? Have they been identified, arrested, and charged?  Will they face justice?

Ashli Babbitt---“A woman was shot as the mob tried to break through a barricaded door in the Capitol where police were armed on the other side.  She was hospitalized with a gunshot wound and later died.  Authorities have identified the woman who was fatally shot inside the U.S. Capitol as Ashli Babbitt.”

My comments:  Who shot her?  If it was a police officer, will this person face any disciplinary action?

Benjamin Phillips  “One of the people who died of a medical emergency during the storming of the Capitol was the founder of a pro-Trump social media site called Trumparoo and had coordinated transportation for several dozen people from Pennsylvania to Washington.... The Inquirer reports that members of his group say they last saw Phillips around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, and that he did not show up to meet them for a 6 p.m. departure. They learned from police that he had died and had a somber ride back to Pennsylvania.”

My comments:  Now this is weird. What was the cause of death?  The police must have known.  Did it have any relation to the violence that occurred at the Capitol, or was there some other reason for his death?

Kevin Greeson and Roseanne Boyland

“District of Columbia police also identified Kevin Greeson, 55, of Athens, Alabama, and Rosanne Boyland, 34, of Kennesaw, Georgia, as two of the three people who had medical emergencies and died during the storming of the Capitol... Police Chief Robert Contee would not go into detail about the exact causes of their deaths and would not say if any of the three was actively involved in breaching the Capitol building on Wednesday.... Greeson's family says he had a heart attack.”

Edit for new material.  I just followed the link supplied by Tim Miller pertaining to Roseanne Boyland. (Again, thank you,Tim!!) It appears to come from a news outlet in Cobb County, Georgia.

"A Kennesaw woman killed during the riots at the Capitol Building on Wednesday was crushed, according to a friend who witnessed her last moments. Rosanne Boyland, 34, and Justin Winchell drove to Washington, D.C., to hear President Trump speak at the ‘Save America Rally.’...As Trump supporters began to storm the Capitol Building, Winchell and Boyland found themselves in the thick of it. Winchell said the trouble began when a few demonstrators began pushing people.

“They basically created a panic, and the police, in turn, push back on them, so people started falling,” Winchell.

The crowd then clashed with police, trampling over one another, pinning Boyland to the ground.

“I put my arm underneath her and was pulling her out and then another guy fell on top of her, and another guy was just walking [on top of her],” Winchell said. “There were people stacked 2-3 deep…people just crushed.”

Winchell watched as paramedics tried reviving Boyland but she died".

My comments:  Roseanne Boyland's death is horrifying and tragic.  But the assault on the Capitol seems to be more of a result of general confusion than any grand insurrectionist scheme.  Yes, there were a number of very bad actors among the crowd who sowed considerable mayhem.  These people should be brought to justice.  But I think the vast majority of the people just wanted to make their concerns about the integrity of the election known to the Congressmen who were counting the votes and debating the electoral process.  The confusion was whether people were allowed in the Capitol or not--some were invited in; others were met with armed police.  Of course, NO ONE should have forced their way in, and those who did should be prosecuted.

From these articles there seems to be no evidence yet that the deaths of Benjamin Phillips and Kevin Greeson had any relation to the violence that occurred at the Capitol.  If this is the case, is it right to include their deaths when reporting on the violence at the Capitol?  From what I have read, there were three deaths directly related to the assault on the Capitol--not five.  And only one was motivated by the malice of the protesters--the death of Officer Brian Sicknick .Whoever killed him needs to be charged with murder.

Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 03:20 pm

They have released a picture of a suspect in Brian SIsnick's murder. https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/national/capitol-riots/suspect-wanted...

My understanding is that the rest were "medical emergencies" -- although they included this case:

This was a huge rally, and it's not unusual for medical emergencies to happen. So, it probably isn't fair to lump all five deaths together, when they may not have all been a result of an illegal breach.

• mel
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 06:13 pm

Emily, If you happen to read these posts, what do you make of THIS?

• HANNAH.
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 10:10 pm

In addition, consider this Slow Motion Replay / Stop Motion analysis of the Ashli Babbit video: Brighteon

• BS
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 09:33 pm

I have some concerns about this article, mainly the citation of John Sullivan as though he was just a neutral observer, recording the events for posterity.  Thankfully, Hannah pointed out that he is a radical left wing activist - he tweeted on 12/28/20 'An armed revolution is the only way to bring about change effectively.'  So, maybe he isn't technically a member of ANTIFA, but he appears to share the same worldview.  In addition, he was one of the rioters pushing his way through the police under the cover that he is a journalist.  Citing a left wing radical doesn't enhance the credibility of this article.

I also read the Ken Paxton tweet that this article set out to debunk.  The tweet is from a journalist named Paul Sperry and says the following - 'BREAKING: Former FBI agent on the ground at U.S. Capitol just texted me and confirmed that at least 1 "busload" of Antifa thugs infiltrated peaceful Trump demonstrators'.  I've read multiple Paul Sperry articles over the years.  He is an investigative journalist for Real Clear Investigations.  I've found his work detailed, credible, and highly informative.

So, I continue to believe that ANTIFA or other left wing sympathizers played a significant role in the Capitol Hill riots.  Its certainly probable that some far right individuals like white supremacists also took advantage of the situation and rioted.

The biggest unanswered question is how could the Capitol Hill Police have been so unprepared?  I know the Chief has resigned.  Still, I can't help but wonder if this was a setup or orchestrated event used a pretext to shut off any further investigations of voter fraud or to silence conservatives.  Look at the censorship actions that the Big Tech monopolies have taken in recent days.

• NEWS2ME
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 11:44 pm

Those people should be arrested. But I hope they also arrest people that seem to be missing. I still believe Antifa and/or Anarchists were a part of the problem. They ALWAYS show up where conservatives have rallies.

If they don't arrest any ANTIFA or ANARCHISTS, there is something very bad going on.

• NEWS2ME
    Posted: Tue, 01/12/2021 11:45 pm

Just remember WHO BENEFITTED from the riot. Not Trump.

Very timely riot. Just when the debate was going down inside the Capitol.

• RJ
    Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 02:33 pm

One thing that ought to be noted about World Mag is that one or two families run this.  The Belz family now has three generations.  There are multiple Bashans.  While that in itself is not necessarily a problem, it does mean that there is the possibility of family bias.  Joel Belz had a very hard time ever printing anything positive about President Trump.  As time went on he grudgingly gave some credit but it was always clear that he was not a fan.  OK ~ he does not have to be.  His column is opinion.  But, if we are meant to read a magazine with the idea that it is fair and unbiased, I will call foul.  We are all human beings and we cannot help our biases.  It is difficult to write without showing bias.  Supposedly that is what World Journalism Institute is for.

Over the past few years I have seldom read an article by Sophia Lee that I did not feel leaned a particular direction.  She writes about issues that tug one's heart, and her writing shows that she cares.  It also shows that she leans toward social justice.

World has opinion pieces and journalism pieces.  It is the "journalism" pieces that I am beginning to object to.  Too much info one direction without much on the other side.  Fair and balanced is difficult, yet if that is what we are to believe is the point of the article, then I want fair and balanced.

How many articles over the past few years by the overseas correspondents (one of them a Belz) have tipped toward blaming President Trump for problems in Syria, problems with refugees, problems with Turkey?  Love him or hate him, he cannot possibly be responsible for all the world's ills.  You want to write about the real problem?  It's called sin.

As I said, I am seriously considering keeping my subscription.  It would be nice to hear from someone on staff with a reason why I should continue.

• not silent
    Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 05:02 pm

For RJ, apparently "fair and balanced" are two more words that mean something different to me than they do to other commenters.  To ME, fair and balanced means considering various sides of an issue and drawing from sources with different viewpoints. That's how I learn new things and empathize with others who may have different views.

I would NOT consider a source "fair and balanced" if it only printed things I already knew and never challenged me to consider other views.  I can learn something from articles even if I don't agree with the writers.  Obviously I have to use discernment, and I do; but I think it would be unwise to limit my sources only to those who share my current viewpoints. For one thing, I'm not always right; sometimes I have to change my opinion.  For another, I don't think there IS a news source or other human being on the planet that I agree with all the time on every issue anyway!

Posted: Thu, 01/14/2021 10:34 am

RJ,

I wish you would actually email Marvin Olasky's office (molasky@wng.org, I think) and give World a chance to respond.

But, frankly, I think this is an unwarranted and gratuitous assault on the integrity of World's reporters and columnists.

Belz wasn't alone in 2016 with his reservations about Trump. Basically every evangelical except for Jerry Falwell, Jr., had reservations about Trump before Trump won the nomination. A lot of them conveniently put those reservations aside once they had access to power. A few even seemed to lose the ability to ever disagree with the President!

World has been one of the few journalistic entities that did not go full Gateway Pundit or Bulwark; they called balls and strikes; they reported on what his presidency meant for Christians, good and bad; they criticized when appropriate and praised when appropriate. They got flak from both sides ... some of us thought they went to easy on Trump, and others thought they were too hard on him.

As far as the social justice perjorative against Sophia Lee, I think it's also unwarranted. (I'd welcome specific examples, if I'm wrong.) World has always cared about poverty and racial discrimination. Always. (Marvin Olasky literally wrote the book on "compassionate conservatism" before President Bush kind of ruined the term.) Those aren't social justice issues; those are biblical issues, and World addresses them from a biblical perspective.

(I removed a paragraph that had more heat than light. -TM)

• RJ
    Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 06:31 pm

Not Silent,  You misconstrue what I said and responded from your own point of view.  I did not say I didn't want to learn things I did not know.  I said that I did not enjoy reading what was supposed to be reporting when it leaned heavily toward opinion.  Please ask rather than assume.

• not silent
    Posted: Wed, 01/13/2021 07:19 pm

RJ, thanks for clarifying your position.  I can't help responding from my own point of view (isn't that what we're all doing?); and I usually try to stick to describing my own views. However, I can see why my comment was problematic.  I probably should have just come out and said I disagree with you about World instead of expressing things the way I did.

I am sorry my comment misrepresented your views.  Sometimes my way of asking questions comes out more like a statement than a question. You're not the first person to call me out on this; and, apparently, I still need to work on it.  Thanks, and please accept my apology.