Features

Both sides, now

After George Floyd’s death, we shouldn’t ignore protesters’ cries or looters’ destruction

Both sides, now

A protester holds a sign with an image of George Floyd during a peaceful demonstration outside police headquarters in Los Angeles. (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

“All right we are two nations,” John Dos Passos concluded in his 1936 novel about wealth and poverty, The Big Money. Events during the two weeks concluding on June 8 showed that’s true about the disunited states today, although the divide at street level is not so much rich vs. poor but protected-from-consequences vs. exposed, and tired-of-harassment vs. tired-of-chastisement.

Let’s unpack this. Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer now charged with murder, should never have had the opportunity on May 25 to kill George Floyd by pressing his knee on Floyd’s neck minute after minute, even when Floyd repeatedly said, “I can’t breathe,” even when Floyd went silent. Chauvin’s record included 17 prior complaints, including pulling a woman out of her car after she went 10 mph over the speed limit—but it’s hard to fire a police officer, given union rules.

On June 1 Minneapolis police union President Bob Kroll had the gall to send out a letter complaining that Chauvin and the three other officers at the killing of Floyd “were terminated without due process.” Chauvin was among those protected from the consequences of his actions—until he went too far while the whole world was watching. Compare his situation with that of George Floyd, who was exposed: Once his high school and community college basketball career ended, he bounced from unskilled job to job, most recently losing his position in a restaurant that closed because of COVID-19.

In that way our pandemic and our racial pandemonium are parallel. The coronavirus has medically hit all kinds of people, but the impact of our national shutdown has not been economically awful for those protected from the consequences by being able to work from home. It’s been horrendous for those who lost their jobs and their small businesses—and the recent riots increased the bleeding.

Another divide is tired-of-harassment vs. tired-of-chastisement. Anyone who’s the parent of African American teens knows they are more likely to be treated with suspicion, when they’re in a store or driving a car, than their white counterparts. In 1955 Rosa Parks took her first step toward becoming “the first lady of civil rights” when she refused to move to the back of a Montgomery, Ala., bus: She later said she was “tired of giving in.” Millions of minority members feel that way.

Matt Rourke/AP

Demonstrators chant at Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia (Matt Rourke/AP)

Meanwhile, millions of white folks who don’t live within a few miles of oceans or great lakes are tired of being chastised as dumb “deplorables.” They’re tired of scorn from almost every major media outlet and in almost every grove of academia. They’re appalled at urban scenes that look like outtakes from The Dark Knight (2008) and last year’s alienation movie, Joker

Peaceful protests honored Floyd. The clustering of demonstrators seemed weird to those told it was dangerous to cluster in churches. Oddly, more than 1,000 public health pros declared in an open letter regarding the protests: “We do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission. … We support them as vital to the national public health.” But the real villains were those like CNN’s Chris Cuomo, recovered from his coronavirus bout, who urged on rioters by saying, “Show me where it says that protesters are supposed to be polite and peaceful.”

Cuomo may not have been up on the First Amendment, which protects “the right of the people peaceably to assemble.” Most protesters were peaceful, but from May 30 to June 1, under the cover of darkness and dark thoughts of revenge, rioters in dozens of cities smashed store windows and beat up small-business owners or managers who tried to stop them. When one marauder murdered retired St. Louis police Capt. David Dorn, a handwritten sign next to flowers and a teddy bear read, “Y’all killed a black man because ‘they’ killed a black man???”

Wong Maye-E/AP

Police detain protesters in New York (Wong Maye-E/AP)

So where do we go from here? Conservatives can get mad by staring at computer screens and watching videos labeled “Man stomped and stoned for trying to defend a bar from being looted … Destroying store and beating unarmed woman and her husband … Restaurant manager beaten and stomped for trying to defend his workplace … Looting in Union Square NYC … St. Louis neighborhood on fire … Pharmacy destroyed/looted in Dallas … Destroying Justice Center Portland.”

I’ve also watched videos primarily passed around by liberals: “Cops push a protester to the ground, his head slams on the concrete … Protester walking home when police tackle and beat him … NYPD tackles a guy and beat him … Protester badly injured as a cop bashes his head in with a shield … Police attack peaceful protesters.”

And don’t forget all-purpose anarchists, who can relish thieves’ taste for brand names: “Ransacking Target … AutoZone on fire … Looting Louis Vuitton store … Destroying Apple Store.” One shot of a looted Nike store shows its famed come-on in big letters along one wall: “Just do it.” Some did. Viewers might even relish some tragic slapstick comedy along the Proverbs 26 line of “Whoever digs a pit will fall into it”: “Rioter sets himself on fire while trying to set a building on fire.” (His companions helped him put out the flames.)

Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Star Tribune via AP

A looter tries to break in to a cash register at a Target store in Minneapolis (Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Star Tribune via AP)

So what’s the big takeaway from peaceful protests and violent destruction in our urban centers, such as the City of Angels? We shouldn’t ignore “Shocking Video: LAPD officers seen striking protesters with batons.” But we should also remember how vandals trashed the Santa Monica Music Center, which Chico and Victor Fernandez started in 1972. For nearly half a century adults and children who could not afford to buy their own musical instruments went there for inexpensive rentals. On May 31 gangs with guns, machetes, and hammers stole instruments and amplifiers, then smashed cash registers and display cases. Both sides are part of the story.

In this issue you can read Sophia Lee’s look at the Los Angeles mosaic of peaceful protests and broken glass. After that comes Emily Belz’s story from Camden, N.J. Two decades ago I visited Camden streets where drug dealers and murderers ruled. Now, though, the police department has reformed, and crime is down.

Updates: WORLD has corrected this story to say Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Ala. WORLD deleted “by all accounts Floyd was a gentle giant.” Accounts varied​.

Marvin Olasky

Marvin Olasky

Marvin is editor in chief of WORLD and dean of World Journalism Institute. He joined WORLD in 1992 and has also been a university professor and provost. He has written more than 20 books, including Reforming Journalism. Marvin resides with his wife, Susan, in Austin, Texas. Follow him on Twitter @MarvinOlasky.

Comments

• RH
    Posted: Thu, 06/11/2020 05:35 pm

Thank you Marvin Olasky for a voice of reason in an age of unreasonable extremes.  Racial injustice is deeply rooted in many cities and in some police departments, as well as within the justice system in many areas of this nation. The injustice and extremism of violent protests, especially when causing bodily harm and economic distress for relatively innocent people,  simply makes rectifying those racial injustices harder to accomplish.

• SN
    Posted: Thu, 06/11/2020 09:22 pm

Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus in Montgomery, not Birmingham.

• Web Editor
    Posted: Fri, 06/12/2020 09:10 am

Thank you for pointing out the error. We have corrected it.

• BF
    Posted: Thu, 06/11/2020 11:40 pm

Thanks for the balanced article. It should also concern us that former officer Chauvin, as guilty as he appears to be, is hardly likely to get a fair trial. What judge or jury would give him anything less than maximum penalty knowing that to do so will probably cause global riots. This is nothing less than mob rule and is a precedent we should all fear.

• TIM MILLER
    Posted: Fri, 06/12/2020 08:47 am

Actually, it's very unusual for an officer to be convicted, even sometimes with overwhelming evidence.

Cyborg3
    Posted: Fri, 06/12/2020 11:09 am

How long will Derek Chauvin have before some black prisoner chokes him to death or knifes him leaving him to die in a pool of his blood?

• K Scott
    Posted: Sun, 06/14/2020 09:42 pm

"UNREST

I support victims of violence. I condemn all forms of victimizing.

I support peaceful protests. I condemn riots and destruction.

I support authorities who serve and protect. I condemn racial profiling and police brutality.

I support constructive dialogue. I condemn angry verbal assaults.

I support basic human civility. I condemn hostile malicious conduct.

I support the rule of law. I condemn criminal behavior.

I support justice for all. I condemn injustice for anyone.

I support government when it serves the people. I condemn government when it serves itself.

I support responsible freedom. I condemn self-seeking free rein."

-Kay Scott 6/5/2020

• Just Me 999
    Posted: Fri, 06/12/2020 08:32 am

Best antonym for support is oppose. Best antonym for condemn is praise. Pick the ones you think convey what you are seeking to communicate but choose proper antonyms. :)

Cyborg3
    Posted: Fri, 06/12/2020 12:05 pm

Once again Marvin leads the Christian community astray.

"Whatever our perspective, a few of these videos go a long way. After informing ourselves, we can continue to mainline videos and trade horror stories—or we can try to develop a different divide. On one side: the overwhelming majority of Americans, liberal or conservative, who favor peaceful discussions of our differences, and look for opportunities to work side by side to solve problems. On the other side: the relatively few, left or right, with horror in their hearts."

You totally miss what is happening and your view is misguided. The leftist media is using the George Floyd death to fundamentally change America by garnering more power by using white guilt to destroy our culture and gain more political power. We need to stand up to this tyranny where people are loosing their basic rights to speak out against the insanity of BLM with their elimination of the police and all their other insane demands. Rather than be a coward we need to stand up against this tyranny. Listen to Tucker Carlson for he reads well what we should be concerned about:

The left don't want to "peacefully" sit down with us to discuss the issues! What planet do you reside on for the left wants political domination. Tell the truth Marvin and don't be cowardly! How can you, an intellectual, miss the war of ideas which is going on?

Deb O
    Posted: Fri, 06/12/2020 01:47 pm

"On one side: the overwhelming majority of Americans, liberal or conservative, who favor peaceful discussions of our differences, and look for opportunities to work side by side to solve problems. On the other side: the relatively few, left or right, with horror in their hearts."

Unfortunately, my husband and I are divided in this way. He agrees with you. I agree with Marvin and the majority of Americans. As long as you and my husband seek your own echo chambers and continue to divide from the far right, you are no better than the Marxists who seek to divide and destroy from the far left.

I've got people I love on opposite ends of the political spectrum spewing the "righteous" horror from their viewpoints, so I applaud this editorial and World for providing a voice for me ... a black, conservative, pro-lifer who has seen and experienced racial profiling in my lifetime (62 years) and my family's lives but do not agree with Marxists. I'm no longer silent with my right (or left) -wing friends and family. It's harder to be a reconciler, but it's what Christians are called to be.

Cyborg3
    Posted: Sun, 06/14/2020 12:38 pm

I am afraid you and Marvin suffer from the middle view syndrome, where you look at far right and far left and say truth must be near the middle point!  You plant your flag near the middle point and there is your point of view. I prefer to look at the evidence and not let a bandwagon mentality bias my thinking.  And you think that you don’t have an echo chamber too?   What is so frustrating is that your husband and I could bring all kinds of evidence before you and Marvin and you would just ignore it.  If we had the secret BLM manifesto with all their hidden plots, you wouldn’t even look at the document. “Middle ground is safer with all the naive sheep!”

Now Marvin puts forward the very uncharitably charge that we have “horror in our hearts” as if we are peddling fear and not the words of God, as if we have corrupted hearts. Who are the divisive ones?

Are the radical left really seeking power and control over our culture and country? They have started a new country in Seattle called “Chaz” where the Democratic controlled city and state pretend this is not happening. Shameless reporters pretend the “protesting” is peaceful when police are regularly attacked and even killed.  The local communities are looted, vandalized, and burned down. Statues are desecrated and ripped down, where they want to whitewash our history and destroy our heritage both good and bad. Essentially, this is an attack on our Constitution and the legitimacy of our country and Marvin and you want to shamelessly not defend it?

Why are you so cowardly when our country has been a light to the world? The gospel message has gone to the ends of the earth due to the freedoms we enjoy and you are going to let a violent obnoxious crowd hi-jack a terrible death and fundamentally change our country? Shame on you for you are allowing the evil to gain power who will turn on the church and destroy it with the PC mindset we see.    If the radical left can pressure people who speak out against their cause to be fired, what do you think they will do to the church? Do these radicals love the church? For goodness sakes, they burned down a church next to the White House and you don’t see the message? They attack Trump because he holds our banner and supports our cause. Don’t you get it? Now this new radical PC message will soon follow with “hate crime laws” and will take away our religious freedoms. Anything that they view as racist or intolerant has got to go and that would include the church! So you stand in the middle allowing the radical left to destroy our country praising BLM as only slightly misguided and you fail to see what is coming! You blind guides! Open your eyes and see!

• not silent
    Posted: Mon, 06/15/2020 05:08 pm

Respectfully, America may have been a "light to the world," but Jesus is THE Light of the World.

I love my country, and I value our freedoms; but the gospel is not dependent on democracy or any other human system.  In fact, according to more than one source, IRAN has the fastest growing church of any country in the world. God has certainly USED our nation to spread his kingdom, but he does not NEED us.  (God is using dreams and visions in Iran.)

I get heat all the time from liberals and from conservatives because I will not affiirm ALL of what their chosen party stands for. The reason for that is not because I am afraid to take sides or because I have assumed the answer "must be" in the middle.  It's because I have looked at each issue individually and tried to view it through a biblical lens; and I don't think either extreme viewpoint is biblical on EVERY POINT. Anything created by humans will have some flaws.   A person can believe that reforms are necessary AND also realize the dangers of extreme radicalism.

I acknowledge that others who are also praying and reading the Bible disagree with me.  That's okay.  We are all human and, as such, "we see through a glass, darkly."  Even great leaders in the Bible disagreed on issues.  Paul opposed Peter to his face. When Paul wrote to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 3), he was concerned that some said they followed Paul and others said they followed Apollos; and he pointed out that they were both God's servants and that GOD was the one who brought growth.

I don't have a problem with the fact that there are intelligent and godly believers who disagree with me politically.  But I am distressed about the divisions I see in the church over poltics.  I once read a quote (I think it's Moravian), and I really like it: "In Essentials, Unity; In Non-essentials, Liberty; In all Things, Love."

Deb O
    Posted: Tue, 06/16/2020 01:27 pm

Thank you for your perspective, Cyborg 3. I've heard it all before and will again. I've made an extra donation to World on yours and my husband's behalf.

not silent. Thank you.

Cyborg3
    Posted: Wed, 06/17/2020 03:39 pm

You are playing word games with me “not silent”. Of course Jesus is the light of the world and you know well what I mean. The United States has been a light to the world by bringing THE Light of the World - Jesus Christ!  If we let that light go out, then it will result in a great darkness spreading over the world where the USA has been an advocate for religious liberty and fundamental rights. We have helped the world stay opened to the gospel and kept the tyrants at bay. Of course, God doesn’t need us for Him to work in the world, but God calls His people to be the light in the world, which we are if we are Christians. We need to fight so our light doesn’t go out. Just like David stood up to Goliath or Esther stood up to Haman so we need to stand up to the forces that would see our voices silenced. In other words, we should not be silent!

You say, “A person can believe that reforms are necessary AND also realize the dangers of extreme radicalism.”  What reforms are necessary? Do you want to get rid of the police like BLM advocates? Do you want to spread anarchy and lawlessness like BLM and AntiFa? Is this Christian? Are you going to give the black guy near you money to show you are truly repentant of your systemic racism as advocated by some BLM leaders? Are you going to get on your knees and confess your white privilege to BLM? Are you going to block the path of police and protect those inciting violence?  Will you advocate for an autonomous zone that challenges our nations authority? Will you support destroying statues that mark historical figures that our forefathers revered?  I point out all these actions that BLM and other radicals support because a Christian should not support them.  As Christians we are to support the rule of law and we should not support racism either against blacks or whites.

You take what I say and claim it is extreme radicalism. All I am doing is pointing out the leftist extremism that is happening right in front of our faces. Is not throwing bricks at police violent and dangerous? Is not shooting cops in the head violent? Is not attacking police violent and foolish? Is not burning down neighborhoods violent? So I am the extremist for pointing out what is happening? How laughable!

I am also pointing out the objectives of the leftist radicals who push forward their demands. They want to destroy this nation to build it up new.  They know that violence works to get what they want. When they apply violence then everyone listens. Politicians kneel before them. They  cave to their demands such as getting rid of the police. Businesses give them millions of dollars. When people criticize them, they go after them and get them fired. In other words or political system is turned on its head, where normal politicians and organizations are allowed to be criticized, but not BLM! If you do dare to speak against them then you get the 2020 scarlet letter pinned to your shirt -“RACIST”.  Again Tucker Carlson says it best:

You consider me radical for pointing out what is happening in America today. Our system is being transformed by a violent and radical minority today and it will have ramifications on the church. We just saw the Supreme Court rule in protecting homosexuality as another protected group. How long will it take for this minorities rights to trump religious rights? How long will it be before our churches are considered hate groups under this new hyper PC political environment if we hold to biblical standards?  You naively say this is just about racism against blacks and police brutality, but you are blind to the bigger picture.  You naively say you are looking at it through biblical lenses yet you don’t even understand really what is going on. How is this exactly biblical? It seems to me to be Christianese devoid of any real thought.

I don’t doubt that God is working powerfully in many countries around the world such as Iran. You fail though to understand that our founding fathers made our country conducive to live out our faith freely and to spread the gospel message.  We are told in scripture what type of leader we are to pray to obtain.

1 Timothy 2:1-4 New International Version (NIV)

Instructions on Worship

“1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”

This was the nation that our forefathers built allowing us great freedom and peace and giving us a voice in the political process.  It logically follows that if this is the ideal that we pray for, then we should use our political voice to obtain this. We should vote for the best political candidate who will advocate our cause, no matter if he has some glaring faults. When we see a political movement arise that will upset the peace, the quiet life that enables us to carry forward the gospel message, then we should oppose it  and uncover its real purpose and threat. God often uses natural means and our use of the political process is crucial for us to protect the Christian ideal as seen in the passage above (I Tim. 2:1-4). This is why I strongly push this message for I love God and His bride - the church. I may at times imperfectly argue this point but at the heart of it is my love for God.

I grow tired of those who would bail on Trump because he is a real fighter and scraper who gets the job done. Yes, he is an imperfect man but he is fighting our cause and getting beat up in the process and Christians want to sanctimoniously abandon him. Many of them seem to not understand the coop d’eta that threatened his presidency. And they don’t understand the angry tweets saying it was “unpresidential”. How ridiculous! Do you not understand the propaganda campaign against the man?

I grow tired of Christians that fail to see the danger of the new political movement BLM, AntiFa and the other violent leftist groups. They say we should just go along with the lies and give the appearance that we are gracious and loving while we let our nation be rebuilt eliminating the I Tim. 2:1-4 characteristics.

And you want me to embrace your ideology as though truth is relative and your ideas are as good as mine. Are you a post modernist? I am not so I must graciously say I think you are misguided and will lead Christians astray.  But still many of you are my brothers and sisters in Christ and so I say I love you in Christian love, yet I must continue to speak out the truth for the Lord’s sake no matter how popular it is.

Now you are concerned about the division that my message may bring in the Christian community. Certainly, we need to have charity but that doesn’t mean we should let up on our message if the consequences for the church are as serious as I allege. It is NOT a “nonessential”! How can I not speak out?  Your responsibility is to evaluate if this message is from God and to show me charity too.

Now at church, I will speak my mind about politics if asked, but I always attempt to make others feel welcomed no matter their “race” or their political beliefs. I seriously doubt you could guess who I am if you came to my church. I view World Magazine differently where they claim to present politics and world affairs from a Christian world view. You are here to understand that world view and so I speak up directly.

Deb O., I appreciate your gift and though I think World Mag writers are sometimes wrong on their analysis, I do appreciate their work over the years for they helped to develop my world view (maybe they wouldn't want to have World readers know this - LOL). At one time I felt like Marvin could do no wrong, but as I matured I realized he too was human and sometimes glaringly so. His article here was one with little vision but other times he knocks a home run. I speak in a strong manner but I appreciate you putting up with me for I am a brother in Christ no matter if you want me or not. I enjoy hearing your perspective and I do listen to what you say. Please, don't think less of your husband but try to understand his thinking. I have tried to communicate my thinking which I believe is biblical at heart. Blessings to you.

• not silent
    Posted: Wed, 06/17/2020 01:32 pm

For Cyborg, I will do my best to address your comments and concerns.  First of all, a general comment: I want you to understand that I was not trying to attack you.  In particular, I'm sorry if you thought I considered your position as "extreme radicalism."  When I used that term, I was talking about anarchists; and I was trying to say that I can be in favor of "reform" without supporting anarchy.  It seems that a lot of your response to me was based on thinking I viewed you as "radical," and I'm sorry for that misunderstanding.  I don't view you as radical.  I disagree on certain issues but certainly not all issues.

Second, to address your specific comments: I was not playing word games to hurt you or upset you.  I was trying to communciate that there is a difference between the US, which has been USED by God, and the gospel itself, which comes from God.  I agree with you that the US has been a light to the world, but I think it's dangerous to assume that we are somehow "more special" than other nations that have been used by God or that we are the ONLY people he is using.

Our nation may have been formed using Judeo-Christian values (and thank God it was!), but there IS a difference between the United States of America and the Church of Jesus Christ. Our laws may be based on Judeo Christian principles, but they are not the Bible or the gospel.  I love my country, but it's not perfect; therefore, I must always consider prayerfully how to be a citizen of the US as well as a citizen of God's Kingdom.  I do my best to put God's Kingdom first.

You asked what reforms are necessary and if I wanted to get rid of the police, spread anarcy, etc. I'm not sure there is space to answer all your questions, but I will start with getting rid of police.  You must realize that there is a difference between reforming something and getting rid of it.  So, to be perfectly clear, NO, I don't want to get rid of the police. NO, I don't want to spread anarchy. NO, I do not support an "autonomous zone." I try not to worship anyone but Christ, but I might in some cases "take a knee" as a show of support and respect.  Do I support removal of statues of historical figures?  It depends. If they are Confederate generals/leaders, YES because the Confederate States of America withdrew from the Union and fought against the United States.  (I grew up in Mississippi and my ancestors DID revere Confederate leaders. I am not trying to "erase" them from history but to put them in the right context, and I don't think it's appropriate to revere them.)

Re what reforms are necessary: I know a number of people who were harrassed by police because of their race, and I was personally harrassed by police as a woman in a vulnerable situation.  Because of these things and in light of recent events, I DO think it would be wise to review the system and implement reforms. Re exactly WHAT reforms, I don't know.  I am still reading and educating myself about current policies and how they are enforced, among other relevant issues; and I'm trying to "look not just to my interest, but also to the interests of others."  Our country is set up so that we have leaders who make policy for us, and I would hope that there are leaders who are capable of making wise choices in these matters.  (In fact, I'm praying for our leaders to have wisdom-as you said in your comment!)

I certainly would not consider myself a "post modernist." And I don't think truth itself is relative.  But I have seen that intelligent and godly people can disagree.  None of us knows everything, and we can learn from each other.

I realize there are extremists who would like to destroy this country, but I'M NOT ONE OF THEM.  I know there are dangers to our system of government; and, of course, I care about those things.  But I care MORE about the gospel-about loving justice and mercy and walking humbly before my God. Please understand that I can disagree with you on certain issues without automatically supporting anarchists or radicals.  I apologize that I have not been able to communicate better, but I know we can agree on the gospel.  God's blessings, Cyborg.  Let us all pray for God to work in us and in our country and our world.

Deb O
    Posted: Wed, 06/17/2020 05:09 pm

Wow, what a dialogue, Cyborg and not silent. I learned so much! This is what I've been missing ... thoughtful Christian arguments and conclusions that include real blessings for each other. Thank you!

Cyborg, I am a sister in Christ who will see you in heaven. I promise to continue to listen to what you say as well, but I really have heard your side ... for 30 years, lol. I do not think less of my husband. We are both learning grace as we accept that we don't think alike. It's just one of our challenges. :)

Blessings to you as well.

• SF
    Posted: Sat, 06/13/2020 12:46 am

I am disappointed that your "by all accounts" did not include researching this man's record and pattern of criminal behavior. He was NOT a gentle giant, was high on Fentanyl and meth when police attempted to arrest him. Yes, the manner in which he was treated and ultimately killed is unjustified and a criminal act by officer Chauvin. But, to make George Floyd a martyr and role model buys into the trendy charade of turning criminals into heroes. Worse yet, this is regularly promoted by the racist left, who, in the name of tolerance, have none for facts. The vast majority of black homicides are commited by blacks. I am very tired of magazines and intelligent people buying into the false narratives the left uses to manipulate the gullible and exaggerate statistics.

Here's one report that lays bare some of the history of Mr. Floyd. And I recommend our fellow black Americans listen to voices of reason and realize they are being made fools of by the left. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8366533/George-Floyd-moved-Minneapolis-start-new-life-released-prison-Texas.html.

Also, watch the video carefully.Even short-sighted people can see that Mr. Floyd is very unsteady on his feet as the officers pick him up off the ground, carefully walk him across the street and attempt to place him in the police car. Then notice how Floyd starts bouncing and resisting being put in the vehicle. Also note that two of the officers involved are black. Again, I do not justify or excuse what ultimately happened to Mr. Floyd, but this entire episode has been used to further the racial divide and destroy the very thing needed for justice: responsible law enforcement.

• family8plus6sofar
    Posted: Sat, 06/13/2020 10:09 am

I watched the videos in the link you provided, SF, and there was no video showing the initial part of the arrest.  There was nothing in the article about George Floyd being "high" on anything.  I "hear" about some of this stuff but I can't find any corroboration (not that I trust the MSM).  And the article you linked to did say that it seemed that George Floyd had turned his life around.  I have read about two different autopsies and neither of them mentioned anything about him having drugs in his system either, not even the initial one performed by the Minneapolis M.E.  Why hasn't the police department released their body cam film?  If it would exonerate the police then it would be shown.  All four officers have now been charged in George Floyd's death.  Do you think that would have happened if it could be proved that they did nothing wrong, or at least that there was some provocation for the actions they took?  God have mercy on us all.

• JerryM
    Posted: Tue, 06/16/2020 10:56 pm

The word "seemed" in family8plus6sofar's comment is salient and I agree with SF's comment in so far as Marvin's editorial reflects a view of events which, to him, seem a certain way ("had the gall", "by all accounts").  Added to the tragedy of George Floyd's death is the rush to judgement (often driven by emotions) and the revenge and punishment that is being applied.

I really appreciate Marvin but I don't think this article is balanced.  I think Marvin would agree the issues around these events are complex and do not simply reflect problems with police brutality or racial profiling.  As a foreigner who has lived in the US for more than a decade, and worked with African Americans from the inner city, I agree with those African American intellectuals that state the core problem is the state of families in these communities.  The majority view in the rush to judgement I have seen and read of so far, however, has failed to consider this core problem.

• MG
    Posted: Mon, 06/15/2020 10:11 pm

The killing of Floyd is tragic beyone words.  However, one thing I have yet to hear anyone address is how do we know that the cop killed him because he was "black"?  Is there any evidence to support this, or might this have happend if Floyd was white?  I don't know the answer to this but I am curious if anyone does.

• Sue Wilson
    Posted: Tue, 06/16/2020 11:05 pm

Thank you, Mr. Olasky for your, as usual, balanced commentary. As a WNG subscriber of 33 yrs. I can honestly say I have not been disappointed in your views on social and historical matters. Yours is one of the very few voices I trust in today's media. I can depend on you looking at issues through the lens of God's Word. I hope you never retire!

• GC
    Posted: Thu, 07/02/2020 09:56 am

I'm with you, Sue! Marvin Olasky is a voice of reason and biblical thinking in a crazy, mixed-up time!
    Also, I would like to thank Deb O. and Not Silent for their examples of grace and patience. This is what Paul was writing about in Ephesians 4:2-3 as the  means to unity in the body of Christ. May we all follow your example!