• Las Vegas: Speaking of new ministry opportunities, churches in Las Vegas worked to care for their city after the horrendous mass shooting that killed 58 people at an open-air concert.
One often-quoted statistic surfaced: That there are more churches per capita in Las Vegas than in any other city in the country. Well, not exactly. Vance Pitman, pastor of Hope Church Las Vegas told WORLD radio’s Sarah Schweinsburg those numbers include wedding chapels known for quick nuptials but not Sunday services.
Pastors at Hope Church opened their doors the day after the shootings, and saw hundreds of people come to pray or talk. A first responder who worked the scene—and whose teenage niece had suffered a gunshot wound—told pastors: “I just needed to come because I saw things yesterday I was not trained to ever see.”
• The U.S. border: A heartbreaking story from the U.S. border: The ACLU is suing to force the U.S. government to allow a 17-year-old girl to have an abortion, after authorities detained the minor for crossing into the U.S. illegally.
An attorney told the Associated Press the teenage girl from Central America wants an abortion, and that she may be up to 14 weeks pregnant. HHS and state officials object to allowing it, but a federal judge in San Francisco ruled authorities cannot stop her. The case remains ongoing, and we’ll keep following it.
SNEAK PREVIEW: I’ve been learning about how evangelical churches in Russia are faring a year after the government passed a law restricting some forms of evangelism. While the growing restrictions are worrisome, and have ensnared some churches, one Moscow pastor tells me his church continues to grow: He has 69 men and women in his fundamentals of Christianity class. Stay tuned for a full report in WORLD.
PRAY IT FORWARD
A suggested short list for praying about the news, maybe even at the dinner table tonight:
• Puerto Rico: Pray for churches looking for ways to help their neighbors and share the gospel, and for their long-term health. (Getting specific: Iglesia Presbiteriana Reformada del Caribe in San Juan.)
• Las Vegas: Pray for those mourning, and for churches looking to bring gospel-based help. (Getting specific: Hope Church Las Vegas.)
• U.S. border: Pray officials will intervene to save the unborn child of a 17-year-old girl, and that the young mother will get the care and help she needs.