Trump faces major fallout from lewd video

Campaign 2016 | The GOP nominee vows to remain in the race despite eroding support
by J.C. Derrick & Mickey McLean
Posted 10/07/16, 09:56 pm

UPDATE (10/08/16, 4:10 p.m.):  The release of an 11-year-old video of a vulgar Donald Trump demeaning women has shaken the support for the Republican nominee for president, with some prominent GOP politicians calling for Trump to step down. But Trump told The Wall Street Journal earlier today that there is “zero chance I’ll quit.”

The list of Republicans calling for Trump’s head has grown throughout the day, with U.S. senators and representatives, governors, and former Republican presidential rivals either dropping their support or reiterating their concerns about the candidate.

Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., the third-ranking Senate Republican, is possibly the most consequential defection so far. “Donald Trump should withdraw and Mike Pence should be our nominee effective immediately,” he tweeted Saturday afternoon—providing political cover to all rank-and-file GOP senators.

Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., announced she would no longer support Trump and plans to write in his running mate Gov. Mike Pence of Indiana for president. Ayotte, who is in a tight reelection campaign, said she could not vote for a presidential candidate “who brags about degrading and assaulting women.”

Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., who has been consistent in his criticism of Trump throughout the campaign cycle, tweeted, “Character matters … but [Trump] can still make an honorable move: Step aside & let Mike Pence try.

As of late Saturday afternoon, many other Republicans have said they will not vote for Trump and called on him to withdraw, including Sen. Mike Crapo of Idaho, Sen. Deb Fischer of Nebraska, Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, Sen. Dan Sullivan of Alaska, Rep. Bradley Byrne of Alabama, Rep. Barbara Comstock of Virginia, Rep. Rodney Davis of Illinois, Rep. Joe Heck of Nevada, Rep. Mia Love of Utah, Rep. Martha Roby of Alabama, Rep. Ann Wagner of Missouri, Gov. Dennis Daugaard of South Dakota, Gov. Gary Herbert of Utah, and former GOP presidential rivals Gov. John Kasich of Ohio and Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, who said Trump “does not represent me or my party.”

Another former Republican contender, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, called the vulgar comments “unacceptable,” but said that Trump “did the right thing in immediately and unequivocally apologizing.” He said he’s sticking with Trump and blames the video’s release on “progressives” trying to distract the electorate from the issues and yesterday’s release of potentially damaging emails that included excerpts from private speeches made by Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. Democrats argued the reverse, noting WikiLeaks made the Clinton email disclosure shortly after The Washington Post published Trump’s comments.

Trump offered a second try at an apology in a video released just after midnight, saying, “I said it, I was wrong, and I apologize.”

Trump’s wife, Melania, also spoke out Saturday afternoon in support of her husband: “The words my husband used are unacceptable and offensive to me. This does not represent the man that I know. He has the heart and mind of a leader. I hope people will accept his apology, as I have, and focus on the important issues facing our nation and world.”

Pence, who was reportedly “beside himself” when he first learned of Trump’s remarks, issued his own statement in response to the video:

“As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the eleven-year-old video released yesterday. I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse and apologized to the American people. We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when he goes before the nation tomorrow night.”

Trump is scheduled to face off against Clinton in a town hall–style debate Sunday evening in St. Louis.

Trump, Pence, and House Speaker Paul Ryan were scheduled to attend a now-canceled campaign event today in Wisconsin. Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., have condemned Trump’s comments but have stopped short of calling on Trump to withdraw from the presidential race.

Meanwhile, several prominent evangelical leaders who back Trump indicated that they are not wavering in their support since the video’s release.

“Voters of faith are voting on issues like who will protect unborn life, defend religious freedom, create jobs, and oppose the Iran nuclear deal,” Faith and Freedom Coalition president Ralph Reed told BuzzFeed News. “Ten-year-old tapes of private conversation with a television talk show host rank very low on their hierarchy of concerns.”

Gary Bauer, chairman of the Campaign for Working Families, released a statement today reaffirming his support of Trump, saying the GOP nominee’s comments captured on the video were “grossly inappropriate,” but that it “does not change the reality of the choice facing this country.”

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, also confirmed his continued support of Trump. “As a husband and father of three daughters, I find this behavior deeply offensive and degrading,” Perkins said in a statement. “As I have made clear, my support for Donald Trump in the general election was never based upon shared values rather it was built upon shared concerns.”

Perkins went on to list Supreme Court nominees, the threat of Islamic terrorism, and government infringement on religious liberty as the issues justifying his support of Trump.

Evangelist Franklin Graham posted a statement on Facebook today saying Trump’s remarks “could not be defended,” but neither could the agenda of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. He maintained his position to not issue an endorsement, while noting the importance of the Supreme Court.

Pastor Robert Jeffress of First Baptist Church in Dallas, an outspoken Trump supporter, said he still believes the businessman is the best option. Theologian Wayne Grudem, who has argued Trump is the “morally good choice” for Christians, told The Wall Street Journal he is thinking about whether to withdraw his support.

Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, tweeted his dismay last night at the conduct of some evangelicals: “I am humiliated by arguments about character I am hearing tonight from some evangelicals. Lord, help us.”

Meanwhile, Politico reported Saturday afternoon that Republican National Committee lawyers are hard at work looking for options for replacing Trump on the GOP ticket. Politico also obtained an email written by RNC staffer Lauren Toomey notifying a mail vendor to “Please put a hold/stop on all mail projects.”

OUR EARLIER REPORT: In a video obtained and released by The Washington Post and NBC News Friday (WARNING: vulgar content), Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is shown making lewd comments about women, including him discussing an attempt to have sex with a married woman and bragging about women letting him kiss and grab them because he is famous.

The video from 2005 featured Trump and Billy Bush, who was then host of the television show Access Hollywood.

“This was locker-room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago. Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course—not even close,” Trump said in a statement. “I apologize if anyone was offended.”

Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, offered a short but direct response: “No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever.”

Other Republicans distanced themselves from the remarks, including Sen. Kelly Ayotte, who is locked in a close race in New Hampshire. She called the comments “totally inappropriate and offensive.”

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton called the video “horrific,” tweeting, “We cannot allow this man to become president.”

Meanwhile, Clinton had her own problems with revelations at week’s end. WikiLeaks released what it said were thousands of emails from Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, including excerpts from speeches Clinton gave to Wall Street executives and others, the same speeches the former secretary of state had refused to make public.

The leaked emails indicate that Clinton’s campaign staff had read all of her speeches and identified passages that could be problematic for the candidate if they were released.

Some of the revelations include Clinton telling bankers behind closed doors that she favored “open trade and open borders” and that Wall Street executives were best positioned to help reform the U.S. financial sector.

The revelations about Trump and Clinton come just two days before the two candidates face off in their second debate, a town hall format hosted by Washington University in St. Louis.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

J.C. Derrick

J.C. is WORLD Radio’s managing editor. He spent 10 years covering sports, higher education, and politics for the Longview News-Journal and other newspapers in Texas before joining WORLD in 2012 and eventually becoming WORLD’s Washington Bureau chief. Follow J.C. on Twitter @jcderrick1.

Read more from this writer
Mickey McLean

Mickey is executive editor of WORLD Digital. He lives in North Carolina with his wife, daughter, and a dog/administrative assistant named Daisy.

Read more from this writer

Comments

• Steve SoCal
    Posted: Fri, 10/07/2016 10:49 pm

Trump should drop out... and Clinton should, too.  And America should learn that morals, character and honesty do matter and that real humility and repentance about sinful faults are valuable things.  I moved from saying I could never vote Trump to thinking he might be able to lead well and with strength, and would certainly be better than Clinton, but now I think I'm back where I started, with nobody to vote for except maybe a write-in or two.

Maybe God will intervene and miraculously give us some other options before the election... or maybe He will let us have what we ask for and glorify in much of our culture, which is well illustrated by our two candidates.

• D Oliver
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 08:30 pm

Steve,  That is my heart's prayer - that God will intervene and deliver us from our own choices.

• RMF
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 12:17 am

I don't think it's possible for any self-respecting, Bible believing Christian to support this candidate. Everything he is contradicts and fights against what we believe and live by. I don't at all feel compelled to vote for him because "Hillary!!!" That's just preposterous. I can write in whomever I please. Gov. Pence I like and respect.

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 10:22 am

Wouldn't it be amazing (and funny) if Gov. Pence were to win a write-in election?

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 10:31 am

God keeps producing more evidence for what we all know to be the true Trump and Clinton, who are moral equals.  He has warned us about people like them in His Word.  When will we listen?

• RMF
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 10:59 am

Mr. Bossard, I agree with you sir. I can't help but think that we are in a time of judgment in our great nation. I pray I'm wrong.

• blue
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 11:07 am

There's always Darrell Castle (Constitution Party) to write-in. :) (If you're in MA, OK, or NC, check https://www.constitutionparty.com/get-involved/election-central/ballot-access/ before the election to see if you can write him in.)

And of course, there's still all the many other races to vote on even if you have no good options for President.

FreedomInTejas
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 01:00 pm

Because many of God's people have settled for a Herod to oppose a Jezebel, should there be surprise if He gives us a Pharaoh who knows not Joseph?

May He give us the faith of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego to stand and proclaim, "But if not..."

• MTJanet
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 01:09 pm

We get it - when Bill Clinton does something rude and crude a la Ms. Lewinsky, it is a "right-wing conspiracy."  When it is the Republican candidate, it is "horrific" and "We can not allow this man to become  president."   We have two candidates - one is immoral and one is amoral.  I'm going with the immoral - not that I am encouraging anyone else to vote for Trump.  We still have the ability to vote, and I am more concerned about protection of the country and the SCOTUS.  May God have mercy on us.

phillipW
    Posted: Mon, 10/10/2016 08:10 am

I cannot in good conscience vote for either a Trump or a Clinton.  They both lack any sense of moral standard whatsoever.  If the American people vote for either of these two fools then WE have the government WE deserve.

• Steve SoCal
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 03:08 pm

Brendan Brossard, I agree.  Pence for President.  I think it's worth writing in Pence, whether or not Trump steps down, just to vote for a decent leader.

• AlanE
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 03:33 pm

Wayne Grudem, would you care to comment on this? Was it somehow not apparent to you three months ago that this is who this man is?

• AlanE
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 11:41 pm

Well, to Grudem's credit, he has walked back his position on Trump being a morally good choice. James Dobson?

• D Oliver
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 05:31 pm

What did the Republicans expect from Donald?  Anyone care to join me in supporting Gary Johnson?

• Steve SoCal
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 06:41 pm

No thanks.

I hope this is a joke.  Are we talking about the pothead who said he quit smoking weed so he could be "knife sharp" for the presidency... but he can't even name some of the most basic information about current world events and leaders?

He had no idea what/where Aleppo is.

He couldn't think of a single world leader's name who he admires.

He couldn't name the leader of North Korea.

Aren't we bad enough off with two catastrophes to choose from?

• blue
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 08:44 pm

No. From his website, about abortion: "He is also an outspoken defender of a woman’s right to choose, rather than allow the government to make such an important and personal decision for them."

Also from his website: "Gary Johnson embraced marriage equality before many current Democratic leaders joined the parade."

• RMF
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 04:24 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the Libertarian party supports the legalization of marijuana and other drugs, and the legalization of prostitution. I cannot support those.

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 10:03 pm

The video may have been recorded eleven years ago, but Trump's public disrespect for women throughout the 2016 campaign shows that he remains a misogynist.  I guarantee that he still talks this way in private.  Reed, Carson, and any other Christian who uses the age of the video as an excuse not to listen to it need to re-think their priorities.  I believe that they are damaging God's reputation.

Paul B. Taylor
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 11:32 pm

We have heard a lot about previous mistakes by both condidates: the mystery of Clintons private e-mail server, Donald Trump's remarks concerning woman, Hillary's mistakes made when she was Secretary of State, and the many outrageous quotes emanating from Trump in the progress of his campaign.  Both have shown incredible resilience when facing America and defending their faults.  So, this is not the time to abandon either candidate.  It is all part of the process of installing a new president in the Oval Office.  First, let us look to history for the challenges faced by so many other imperfect, and maybe more imperfect than Trump, candidates for the office of our chief executive.  In my opinion the most recent remarks made by candidate Trump should be expected from an American billionaire.  Certainly, we don't know all of his faults, yet I understand that a man with that much wealth will have a lot of strictly social relationships with women.  What is saving Mr. Trump is his ability to change and to adapt to being a real fiscal and conservative politician.  If I were an advisor to him, I would suggest that he own up to his sins and demonstrate that he understands proper behavior for an American president.  He should abandon his past: we should forgive him of his mistakes: And we should install him in the White House.  He has shown great strength by seemingly overcoming incredible odds when so many in his camp thought that he was through.  Let him choose to improve his character and to walk in the narrow and rough way.  Then we will have the real Donald Trump who will, as a billionaire, energize our citizens and bring great optimism to this great nation.  Concerning Hillary, our hope for her now is that she has done nothing illegal.  Trump has not broken any laws. So, as we learn more about Hillary, we see that Trump could be the only viable candidate.  Now, as we approach November, let's celebrate America and choose a president.  This election promises to be like no other with these two candidates who have shown a colorful past face each other in the ballot boxes.  With such excitement, America's real hope is existential change for each as we consider whom to vote for.

• Bksto
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 11:03 pm

May I remind all Christians who we really are and who God chose as the leader and line in which our Savior would come from. Murderer, adulterer, womanizer...need I say more. I cringe at the thought of bubbling in Trump because of what I know of his outward behavior. However, just like all good parents know, the behavior does not define the child. Our Father disciplines those He loves. I trust that God has this.

Wroting in a presidential candidate is simply handing the presidency to Hilary. We all know NONE of her supporters will ever change their support of her. Let's trust that God will not be mocked. If He put His candidate, David son of Jesse, into office and used him, a fallen sinful man, then I trust He can use Trump. God bless!

phillipW
    Posted: Mon, 10/10/2016 08:43 am

For the record, I have never endorsed, nor supported either Trump or Clinton.  I don't agree with your belief that we should forgive their sins of the past, especially when their behavior hasn't changed even up to the last five minutes.  Character is built over a lifetime, and someone 60 or 70 years old isn't going to change once they get power.  If anything, their faults will only be magnified once given that power.  So I completely disagree that either Clinton or Trump should get a pass for their unbelievably putrid behavior and conduct.  Both Clinton and Trump operate in the spirit of impunity, which is a disastrous combination should they be given the White House.

I have never supported either candidate for these reasons, and I am withholding my vote for either because of this.  I have spent a lifetime looking at candidates that get the major party nomination that are beyond contemptible.  But in my 49 years I cannot remember two major candidates so deplorable that I couldn't in good conscience vote for either.  This is a much different election, and I will not quietly vote for either when neither has proven themselves worthy to be elected POTUS.

And I am no longer registered for either major party, because I believe both have lost their way, and have abandoned God.  I vote with God in mind first, and everything else is secondary.  Neither candidate has the fear of God, or humility.  When I find that in a candidate that wins the nomination of either party, then I'll vote again.  Until then, WE have the government WE deserve.

• Janet B
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 10:41 pm

So, Mr. Trump has shown a great lack of virtue in his comments 11 years ago that evidently demeaned women (I haven't heard the comments, nor will I). And Mrs. Clinton has shown her lack of virtue in that she has defended a womanizing husband against serious charges of abuse, and that she has lied about many important things (emails, Bengazi).

Thus are our choices.

I do not defend Mr. Trump, but at least he has been (if you will pardon the pun) man enough to apologize.  I think Juanita Brodderick, some parents of Bengazi victims, and others are still waiting for an apology from Mrs. Clinton.

All in all, since it is my civic duty to vote, I would still vote against an unrepentant for an apologetic, since I do not have any other serious alternative.

God, please help us.

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 08:48 am

I'm sorry, Janet, but I am disappointed in the continued moral relativism that I see in Trump's supporters.  Both candidates are equally bad from a moral perspective.  Both candidates are unrepentant.  Trump's apology is a non-apology, because it does not address his current behavior toward women.

I see people applying unequal moral scales both for Clinton and Trump.  Vote for whichever candidate you will; you are not voting for a "better" candidate.

• Laura W
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 09:35 am

Both are bad choices, to be sure, but how can you be certain that they are equally bad?

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 02:47 pm

Laura W, I mean on a moral plane.  On the political plane, the two-door argument works:  we know what Clinton will do; we do not know what Trump will do.  On a moral plane, the two-door argument for voting for Trump does not work, because perdition lay behind both doors.  That is what I mean by "equally bad."

Moral judgement is mostly subjective, therefore we cannot be certain that two persons are morally equal in the same way that we say that twelve inches equals one foot.  However, we can categorize people by the quality of their characters.  We do it all the time.  For example, we can state with confidence that Stalin and Hitler were both equally bad, even though Stalin murdered tens of millions more than Hitler and did it in different ways.  In other words, put the characters of Stalin and Hitler on opposite sides of a balance, and they balance each other out.

I believe that Trump and Clinton balance each other out in the same way.  Clinton lies; Trump starts fires with his tongue.  Clinton enables her husband's misogynistic habits; Trump exemplifies misogyny.  Both worship money; both abuse their opponents; both surround themselves with sycophants.  Both profess Christianity, but have lived with contempt for Christian principles.

I also believe that fear and ideology, not wisdom, are preventing people from seeing these similarities.  Just in the past few days, I heard one person say, "I am voting for Clinton because Trump is worse," and another say, "I am voting for Trump because Clinton is worse," each using the same types of arguments about character as the other to support his view.

So it is false comfort to say that Trump is not as bad as Clinton.  I will grant that on a political plane, she is a certainty, while he is not.  On a moral plane, both lead to perdition.  Let us vote according to conscience, but let us also enter our voting booths with eyes wide open.

• Laura W
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 06:49 pm

Oh, I see. I thought you were saying that there's no reason at all to prefer one candidate to another. But it sounds like what you really mean is that there's practically no difference between their morals (or lack thereof), so we should focus on things like policy. I'd agree with that.

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 11:51 pm

Laura W, I do not like to leave false impressions, so allow me to clarify that for me, the moral issue trumps the political issue.  If the election were today, I would write God in for President, because I cannot picture myself trying to explain why I voted for a moral reprobate to Him.  I would vote for Pence if he had a clearer path to the Presidency.  To me, the only unwasted vote at this time is a vote for God.

However, I do not judge anyone who feels that he needs to choose between the candidates in the general election.  That is between him and God.  There are many people who will cast votes for Trump, Clinton, or another candidate with broken hearts.

Neil Evans
    Posted: Sat, 10/08/2016 11:40 pm

Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party condone and facilitate the killing of millions of babies.  To vote in any way that allows them to continue is a big mistake.  Sin is sin, but to equalize vulgar thoughts and words against women with championing the murder of children and the desensitizing of their mothers is very short-sighted.  Mr Trump demeans people with words, Hillary Clinton and the Democrats demean people with legislation and policy.

• DCal3000
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 01:26 am

A few thoughts:

1. While we need to condemn sin, the extent to which Christians have had daggers drawn against each other on who they are or are not voting for has been disgusting.  Voting this year is a complicated decision any way you look at it, and we all need to extend mercy.  The insinuations I've seen from Christians both for and against Trump on who has or has not sold their soul has been shameful.  The Gospel Coalition even took to the Washington Post today to condemn the 80% of Southern Baptists who were going to vote for Trump.  Not a word about Clinton voters.

2. Though horrible, none of the news about Trump is new.  I was aware of equivalent comments from Trump months ago, and so was everyone else on both sides of the political aisle.  Whether you're for or against Trump, keep in mind that the media is manipulating this for all it's worth.  Let's condemn the sin but stop pretending to be shocked.  It's unbecoming.

3. Hillary Clinton will now be the next President of the United States, short of an utterly unexpected event.  Any other suggestion is unrealistic in the extreme, even if Trump were to be replaced on the ballot.  We now need to try to determine what the role of the Church will be in American civic life for the next four years.  We've had far too little exploration of Christian political philosophy of late.

Neil Evans
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 11:04 am

Since 1973 there have been 59,429,320 abortions performed in the US.  These have been condoned and facilitated by many people including Hillary Clinton.

Some people are responding:  "Yeah, but Donald Trump says awful things about women!"

Greg Mangrum
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 11:21 am

I cannot begin to tell you how depressed I am. Not that this revelation is surprising. I am depressed only because the revelatory video and, even more damaging, many office-holding Republicans' defections virtually guarantees that the U.S. will have, by default, an unrepentant criminal--one who has committed high crimes against this nation as Secretary of State--as it's next president.

However, I am reminded by Mrs. Cuthbert's comment in Anne of Green Gables--and I paraphrase--to despair is to not believe in God.

• Dolores Lopez
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 11:22 am

At least he is honest! Admitted what he did was wrong, and actually apologized for it!  Has killery admitted anything in her past that there is clear evidence of wrongdoing admitted it?  Apoligive? She thinks KS the laws are for the poor people!  Not her or Billy Bob the rapist!  I have had more comments deleted or just never appearing if I use hillary name.  I'm a dedicated Trump fan, because I love my country, he is our last chance. This media blackout on the queen of evil shows where we are headed as a nation in the hands of the DNC.  I was a lifelong democrat. Obama was the end of that.  Thank God I never voted for him.

• Steve SoCal
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 11:37 am

I keep seeing comments about Trumps apology.  What was his initial response on Twitter?  It was just lockerroom banter.  Bill Clinton has said worse to him on the golf course (why would Bill feel free to do so if he wasn't with a likeminded golf partner?) and, oh, sorry if anyone was offended.  Only after there was an upswell of condemnation from within the Republican party did he come out with something that sounded a little more like a real apology.

Nobody is arguing for the moral superiority of the Clintons.  It's a choice between two camps that seem to be nearly completely amoral.  How can followers of Christ really champion either side?  I can see a Christian holding their nose, voting for Trump (because he is less pro-abortion... although he has praised Planned Parenthood... and less aggressive pushing other progressive agendas, and he might appoint Supreme Court justices who are good... if he's telling the truth), and then praying for forgiveness, but is that what would really please God?  I'm not sure.

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 02:52 pm

One thing to note is that at least there is public angst among Republicans regarding their candidate.  I do not see the same among Democrats about their candidate.

• Wayne Asbury
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 12:11 pm

My questions for Trump supporters are why do you bring up the issue of abortion?  Yes Trump claims he is now pro-life. But wasn't he the only Republican candidate to defend Planned Parenthood through the whole selling of baby parts by talking about all the good work they do.  He is obviously not telling the truth when he says he respects women.  So why should I believe he cares about unborn babies?  If his sins of years ago don't matter why should any of the Clintons past sins matter?  I don't claim to have the answers to these questions, this is all very hard for me to understand.  But what I really don't get from you people is how you can be so bold against everything President Obama has ever said or done.  But with Trump he gets a "get out of jail free card" over and over and over again.  Isn't this the same guy who said he could shoot somebody and not lose any supporters?  Maybe he was right about that. As Christians who know our Bibles we know that God punishes the proud and those who shamelessly self promote.  Obviously either Clinton or Trump will be our next president and God seems to be giving us what we deserve as a reward for our pride and sin. Either one could be His well deserved judgment.  For those who want to use the illustration of King David, when God allowed him to choose how he should be punished for his pride.  He said, "I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the LORD, for His mercy is very great;but do not let me fall into human hands." 1Chronicles 21:13 God is not American, Republican, or Democrat but thankfully He has children in all three groups.  He is holy. He never overlooks sin. And His jugments are always righteous.  I guess the real question is how can all of us with our extremely varied opinions be more like Him?

• hawaiicharles
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 01:16 pm

I don't quite understand why this changes anything.  It's been known for a long time that Donald Trump is a lech.  Those who cozied up to him knew exactly what they were getting themselves into.

Support for Donald Trump actually reminds me quite a lot of the Iraelite kings who constantly tried to forge alliances with the powers around them - Egypt, Assyria, etc. - rather than putting their trust in God.

Brendan Bossard
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 11:57 pm

hawaiicharles, I initially reacted in the same way that you described in your first paragraph, too.  However, I have come to realize that it is possible for someone to have supported him without fully comprehending the depth of his depravity.  So maybe we ought to be a little more generous-minded toward those who are changing their minds at this time, especially since some of them may suffer ignominious political fates as a result.

• TERRY HART
    Posted: Sun, 10/09/2016 04:01 pm

Those with sin have cast the first stones.

phillipW
    Posted: Mon, 10/10/2016 08:49 am

Sin is not without consequences.  We can and should hold those that sin accountable for their actions.  Your paraphrase of this infamous Bible verse is a lame excuse that has allowed the moral collapse of the United States to the point where we are picking between two the most detestable examples of leadership that I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Sure, we are told not to judge, but even justice arrests criminals for breaking the law.  Everyone should be held accountable to an equal standard before the law.  Sin while being forgiven, still needs to be held accountable and face the consequences.  The fact that people like you choose to give sin a pass with no consequences is exhibit A for why our country is in such moral decay to the point that there is no standard of civility in society anymore.

Shameful and cowardly to say the least.

phillipW
    Posted: Mon, 10/10/2016 08:07 am

The news is now "R" rated.  Would you let your children watch it?

William Peck 1958
    Posted: Mon, 10/10/2016 03:49 pm

Well, it's been "R" rated since Bill Clinton taught a generation of youngsters what isn't "sex".