Skip to main content

Notebook Houses of God

Church of Our Lady

(Jack Guez/AFP/Getty Images/Newscom)

Houses of God

Church of Our Lady

Iqrit, Israel

In 1948, Israeli soldiers evicted residents of the Palestinian Christian village of Iqrit in Upper Galilee and three years later, on the eve of residents’ return, destroyed the village. The only remaining structure is the Church of Our Lady. Some of the villagers’ descendants are now returning to the desolate village, in defiance of Israeli court rulings against any return.